We represent the 447,115 Australians living with dementia and the almost 1.5 million Australians involved in their care.
We advocate for the needs of people living with all types of dementia, and for their families and carers, and provide support services, education and information.
Dementia Australia is a member of Alzheimer's Disease International, the umbrella organisation of Dementia and Alzheimer's Associations around the world.
We advocate on the basis of evidence-based policy, promote awareness of dementia, administer national contracts with the Commonwealth Government and provide research grants to emerging researchers through the Dementia Australia Research Foundation.
We are committed to a strong consumer focus.
We are represented on many Ministerial and Departmental Committees and contribute to consultation forums and advisory groups.
Dementia Australia delivers national dementia programs and services funded by the Commonwealth, including:
- the National Dementia Helpline
- early intervention programs such Living with Memory Loss
- the National Younger Onset Dementia Key Worker program
- Dementia and Memory Community Centres
- Carer support groups
- Education for family carers
- Public awareness activities
- a national resources program
We are also a governing member of the National Aged Care Alliance and are involved in other key groups progressing the aged care reforms.
We are proud to say that we are committed to achieving a dementia-friendly Australia where people with dementia are respected, supported, empowered, and engaged in community life.
Our Service Commitments
Through our work we are committed to ensuring that you:
- Be treated with courtesy and respect
- Have your personal beliefs and privacy respected
- Be informed of the range of services provided by Dementia Australia
- Be informed of services provided by other organisations that may be of assistance
- Select the services you wish to use
- Be informed of your rights and responsibilities
- Have a person of your choice accompany you or act on your behalf
- Have access to interpreter services
- Have access to your records and be informed as to how information may be used.
Dementia Australia (ABN 79 625 582 771), Dementia Australia Research Foundation (ABN 79 081 407 534), and Dementia Australia Research Foundation (VIC) (ABN 51 158 180 477) are registered non-profit charities.